Animation help. Copying and pasting keyframes causes figures to flip upside down or rotate

tapanojumtapanojum Posts: 73

I've created a 14 frame animation that loops perfectly. Now I want to copy & paste these keys in the timeline to extend the range of animation. Selecting the keys, "copy selected keys", and pasting them in frame 14 causes the figures to flip upside down and generally behave oddly. First 14 frames play perfectly as they should, next 14 have the figure doing God knows what.

Is there some proper way to go about copying and pasting multiple keys at once?

Edit 1: I turned off any pins I had and tried again. This time I was able to successfully paste the keys without the figure transitioning or rotating oddly. However, now somebody parts have straight-up disappeared in some frames including the original 14. What's going on?

Edit 2: Thought I'd get cheeky and turn the loop into an aniblock and then just apply multiple copies of it on the AniMate2 timeline. Nope, the second loop causes the figure to turn 90 degrees for some reason.

Edit 3: Selecting an empty frame ahead of the 14 frames and doing absolutely anything with it such as bending a limb causes all frames between 14 and the current one to go dogshit crazy. Is my file bugged?

Edit 4:  Created an aniblock with the 14 frames. Deleted all keys and loaded the aniblock in and duplicated it. 2nd aniblock caused figure to rotate so used the positional offset in aniMate2 to fix this. :Merged the aniblocks and created a copy of the 28 frame aniblock. Repeated the position offset once again. Now I have a 56 frame animation with 4 loops. Problem is that all nodes now have a keyframe for every single frame. Have to manually go in and delete all keyframes for each node I want to make a new animation on. This whole process seems bizarre. 

Post edited by tapanojum on

Comments

• jesusaramenesjesusaramenes Posts: 177
    edited December 2019

Hi ;) I do a lot of animation and I can give you my technique if you want, I also have animate 2 but I consider it useful only to create aniblocks, if your goal is to sell aniblocks my technique is useless and I can't help you, on the other hand if you want to make animations for yourself my technique is useful and very simple, tell me if you want to know ;)

edit : I take the liberty of offering my help because a lot of people complicate things to create animations.

Post edited by jesusaramenes on
  • Hey, I would love to hear your technique. I don't plan on selling aniblocks. I purchased aniMate2 primarily for the mdd export function.

• jesusaramenesjesusaramenes Posts: 177
    edited December 2019

deleted ;)

Post edited by jesusaramenes on
  • Thanks for your reply. This technique is useful for very basic animations but it doesn't work much past that. For example, some actions within this loop will not benefit from being reversed. Certain motions need to complete for the full 14 frames. Additionally, the reason I needed to create a 14 frame loop is so that I can continue this loop throughout the timeline while animating a longer sequence of other groups such as facial expressions.

The big issue here is that DAZ seems to flip out randomly with new keyframes being created. I can't recreate this issue consistently but it does occur often enough to really slow down production. I created two other animations prior to this one using the same scene and they worked flawlessly. The third animation decided to freak out and start mutilating body parts. That is frustrating.

• Ah ok ;)  

sorry I didn't understand, yes my technique is only useful for loops, I understand your problem but I'm sorry I can't help you :( you'll find it in the end :)

I delete my previous message because it seems incomprehensible and it's not useful ;) good luck and sorry I couldn't help you ;)

• Should have kept your comment. It's a great start to animation and to cut down on render times!

• rames44rames44 Posts: 329

What about the idea of saving a "pose preset" for the 14 frames and then applying it at frame 14?

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421
    rames44 said:

What about the idea of saving a "pose preset" for the 14 frames and then applying it at frame 14?

That's how I've had to get around it since the timeline is so kludgy and buggy. It's the only way to consistently copy and paste. It's painfully involved and slow going but I have yet to find a better way.

• hookflashhookflash Posts: 167
    tapanojum said:

The big issue here is that DAZ seems to flip out randomly with new keyframes being created. I can't recreate this issue consistently but it does occur often enough to really slow down production. I created two other animations prior to this one using the same scene and they worked flawlessly. The third animation decided to freak out and start mutilating body parts. That is frustrating.

Seems like these timeline issues are still present, despite the fact that Daz has had several months to fix them. I just lost hours of work because, after copying and pasting several keyframes, I started seeing chunks of my character's geometry disappearing at random as I scrubbed the timeline, and even frames where the entire scene goes blank (even the grid overlay!). The scene is trash now, since the glitches appear to be permanent (even after I delete keys and/or undo), and I know from previous experience that the file will be corrupted if I try to save and reload. The "improved" Daz timeline feels like a pre-alpha feature at this point. angry